Saturday, March 24, 2007

Things you didn't want to know...

...especially if you eat Twinkies!

I heard the author of Twinkies, Deconstructed being interviewed on the radio earlier today. In the course of writing the book, he traveled around the country in search of the points of origin for everything listed among the ingredients that are combined to make the popular little "snack cakes."

In case you're curious, the book's chapters are named after all the building blocks of a Twinkie. They're listed on the website.

Aren't they cute?



Though it has been a long time since I ate one -- decades, in fact -- I somehow have a memory of both the taste (excessively sugary) and texture (not far from partially solidified Styrofoam). Ugh.

Still, it's amazing that something made up largely from rocks, chemicals bombarded by carbon monoxide and hydrogen, and other oddball raw materials has any taste at all. And not surprising that the nutritional value is virtually nil.

The perfect thing to wash down with a McDonald's no-milk "shake!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're best deep fried. (So I'm told.) :)

Anonymous said...

Twinkes are so cute. they are so sweet. They are american icons, they, like margarine, have a special place on the american food scene. Fake food.
Oh well, eating plastic is surely better than eating bs....Oops we seem to be doing both at once!

Anonymous said...

Oh, they are so good! I know they are so BAD though and right now I would definitely turn my back on them! :)

John0 Juanderlust said...

Never liked those things. I'll bet I haven't eaten more than two in my entire life.
I thought "Twinkie" was a non PC term for a guy who is "light in the loafers"...

MrScribbler said...

harpo'fly -- My understanding is that the non-PC term was inspired by these "food items."

After all, Hostess Twinkies have been around for something like 70 years. And some of the ones on store shelves today will probably be around 70 years from now....

Anonymous said...

I haven't eaten a Twinkie in years..probably never will now. Yuk! Thanks for the info. :)