Thursday, March 22, 2007

Currying favor with the Lord!

According to Bill Handel, a new controversy is brewing in the world of Big Religion.

Churches that maintain "prayer lines" for people to call when in need of spiritual solace are getting some complaints from their flocks. Care to guess why?

It's because the churches are outsourcing prayer lines to call centers in India.

Gimme a a-men!

One of the biggies in this "business" is called India Prayer Solutions of Mumbai. Complaints against their services include listening to an "associate" reading prayers -- haltingly -- off a "cheat sheet" and Hindu employees having trouble keeping the number of deities in their prayers down to the Christians' one God.

Having had to deal with Indian call centers regarding computer and ISP questions, my sympathies are with those calling in. If "Darren" or "Jane" can't deal with issues of dropped connections and misbehaving computer programs, how good can they be with matters of faith?

Come to think of it, the next time AT&T gives me grief and I'm feeling sad, maybe I'll call a prayer line and kill two birds with one stone. So to speak.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine the call center employees trying to figure out which god to use for which call.....LOL

Doug said...

If this is Thursday, you must be Islamic...

Anonymous said...

Goodness, what a mess! What is this world coming to?

Anonymous said...

I love it...what a hoot

John0 Juanderlust said...

Great plan. Next time I end up on an outsourced call, I'll ask if they can serve my prayer needs while I'm on the horn.

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL!!!!!

This is TOO funny to believe!!

Is this really true???
Please tell me it isn't true.
Because it's about the most rediculous & insane thing i've heard of (next to the issues you address in your more recent entry, which upset me too much to talk about right now)

Hugz and AloooooHa!

MrScribbler said...

KF -- It's all too true!

Anonymous said...

It is better than standard evangelical churce prayer lines which are aka "gossip lines" I would rather tell it to a stranger!

Anonymous said...

Oops, I mean church!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit. Crazy.

MrScribbler said...

anon -- True, and if you're having trouble booting up Windows, they can mix some advice in with the prayers!