Saturday, March 10, 2007

Hobbes is back...

...and, happy as I am to have him here, it's been a rough few hours.

Clearly, the experience was traumatic for him, even though everyone at the vet clinic went out of their way to pay attention to him. When we got into the apartment, he hid for a while, and still shies away when I get too close (though he will come over to be rubbed and petted). He probably thinks every time I get near him, he's going to get a pill, a shot or worse.

And, for the next week, that will be partly true. He has meds to take twice a day, one pill, one liquid. A cat does not "take medicine." Some human -- me -- forces them down the poor guy's throat. Put the stuff in his food? He's not eating much right now, and has shown a wonderful instinct for eating around pills in the past.

I'm not complaining at all. I'm incredibly happy to have him home and, as the hours go by, he's getting back to being his normal self.

But it still hurts to know that I did something that frightened and upset him. The concept of "for his own good" just isn't something he can grasp, and I doubt he associates all that grief with an improvement to his health.

No matter. My friend is here.

He did achieve a new place in the record books today: not only is he the oldest cat I've ever had, but he is now the most expensive.

I don't think I'll tell him.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't put a price on a best friend. :)

John0 Juanderlust said...

Good news. I was wondering about that. He'll let go of the shock of the treatment. He knows you aren't the enemy even if he is not too sure about the cure.

Dorrie said...

I agree 100% with lowandslow... {hugs}

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad he's back safe and sound. And ditto what the others said. He still knows you're his buddy.
Hope we all have a better day tomorrow. take care friend.
Woofy

Anonymous said...

I agree with lowandslow, and I'm so happy that Hobbes is back home with you, MrScribbler!

Doug said...

Yay for the return of Hobbes. He'll forgive you. Cats need their humans, they just don't like to admit it.

Barq stayed away from the patio door for a while after I accidentally closed his head in it (hey, it was dark) but he doesn't hesitate anymore.

Anonymous said...

Good for both of you, pet him for all of us.

Anonymous said...

Am so happy hes home and settling in again. Just keep giving him big hugs and he will soon forgive and forget.. ( give him one from me too!)

Anonymous said...

The things we do for love!