Thursday, May 18, 2006

What's shakin'...

...is, at least according to this map, California. As of this moment, there have been 351 earthquakes here in the past week. Most of 'em small, of course, but a couple have been large enough to rattle a few dishes.

I admit it: I look at this map every day. After all, I live in a seismic playground, a few hundred feet away from an area that collapsed into the ocean many years ago in large part due to an earthquake.

Yeah, I'd know about the Big One -- assuming it struck in my general area -- long before it made the map. I'd probably be too busy trying to swim to spend any time on the 'net if that happened, anyway.

That's not why I want to leave. I've ridden out any number of Pretty Big Earthquakes here and haven't suffered any lasting effects. In fact, the only direct damage I've ever suffered from a shaker was a soaked carpet when the pool at a house I was renting sent a small tidal wave house-ward.

If and when I do get to wherever it is I end up going, I'm sure I'll still check the map regularly. You can take the boy out of California, but you can't take California out of the boy.

But I'd like to stay in touch from a distance. Probably the only thing that hasn't changed for the worse during my many years here is earthquakes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

During the two years I lived in California, I experienced several earthquakes. They redefine the term 'helpless'

Doug said...

You can't (with any certainty) move away from calamity. At some point, somewhere, there will be a quake/tornado/hurricane/flood/bad hair day.

We have a rare tremor now and then, and winters can be nasty, but thunderstorms and wind cause most of our ills, I think.

MrScribbler said...

I'm not expecting to move away from calamity of one sort or another, dal, but change is good. And most of what I knew as "Los Angeles" has been changed beyond recognition anyway....

Anonymous said...

Some times new is good. Gives you a different way to look at things and puts the excitement back into life. Believe it or not we have earthquarkes here in Missouri too. Mostly down in the boothill, but sometimes you can feel them here in KC.
Roz

Whatsername again....? said...

i think there was a really tiny one in NY as well. long time ago.

MrScribbler said...

I think there's a nice, fat earthquake fault under Manhattan Island, whatser...just waitin' and waitin'....

Anonymous said...

Isn't California the "Rock and Roll" capital of the world?

MrScribbler said...

I think that might be Memphis, anne! Haven't heard of any quakes there lately....