Friday, May 19, 2006

The fine print...

...will always get you.

Last week, I ordered two lenses for my digital camera. After finding that their prices were as good -- or better -- than from any camera store, I got them straight from the manufacturer.

They will likely arrive today.

But....

What the company website did not mention, at least on any page I visited, was that the long and wide-angle lenses both require an adapter if they are to be attached to the camera.

So when you buy the TXSD-209RX-M22 and WPSRF-7689QM-F02 lenses, you also have to buy the WTF-29906-SOB9 adapter unit. Which is an extra 20 scoots.

I would have known this if I had read Page 132 of the camera's manual. I didn't.

Add another $19 to get this stupid little ring shipped by overnight service, because I want to use the new trinkets ASAP. Which brings the total for accessories I've bought up to a truly insane sum.

For another $200 or so, I could have bought a new camera, a much better one.

But it would surely have needed accessories, too.

Everyone tries to nickle-and-dime you to death, let me tell you....

PSEUDO-PARENTHETICAL AFTERTHOUGHT: The lenses didn't arrive today, and a communication from the manufacturer tells me I don't get overnight shipping on the adapter...they waited too long to process the order.

Oh well. They knocked $2.00 off the shipping charge, anyway.

Maybe all three items will arrive Monday. Then I can start having some fun with my expensive little toys without making a run to the 99-cent store for silver tape....

6 comments:

Whatsername again....? said...

figures!

John0 Juanderlust said...

The need for an adaptor can often be circumvented by using duct tape.

MrScribbler said...

Don't have any duct tape...thinking of using super-glue instead....

Or maybe I can make 'em fit with a hammer.

John0 Juanderlust said...

Duct tape is easily found in dollar stores. Much cheaper than adaptor. Silly putty may be a good alternative.

Doug said...

I prefer aluminum tape. Sticks like crazy. And it's shiny. Very shiny.



Really...shiny.

MrScribbler said...

I'm easily distracted by shiny stuff...too easily distracted....