Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The relocation question...

...has been on my mind for some time, and I'm galvanized into writing about it in large measure by the latest journal entry of my great friend and brother, one Mr H. O'Fly.

Coincidentally, I was listening to the radio last night and heard the host of a talk show -- a Los Angeles native like me -- announcing his imminent departure to a small Colorado town, for reasons eerily close to mine. Except, that is, he is moving with his wife, so will not be starting his new adventure alone....

Be that as it may. If I am totally rational, I can only move to certain areas -- mainly within a 100-mile radius of a few major cities -- and continue with my present work. But I'm not totally rational, and begin to think maybe some small-town newspaper needs an eccentric, opinionated editor. Hell, maybe a small-town hardware store needs a stock boy.

Until recently, I had picked out my next home. I knew, with some effort, I could continue my work there. I liked the area. I liked the ambience. But that possibility has been soured for me for reasons not having anything to do with the place itself. I no longer wish to go there.

So here is what my ideal location would have:

1. Reasonable housing/living costs. I can't imagine being in another place where I go deeper in the hole every month just to survive. Somewhere in the world, people can still live in houses, eat and maybe have occasional fun without draining their resources totally.

2. A nice environment. Not condos and malls as far as the eye can see, but a place that is pedestrian and bicycle friendly, where there is still some sense that the trees weren't brought in recently to decorate yards.

3. An eclectic population. I loved the diversity of Los Angeles for many years, but it has now become something sinister, as certain ethnic groups strive to become dominant, not live with their neighbors. I want to be around reasonably friendly people who don't avert their eyes when you say "hello" on the street. It would be nice if most spoke some understandable form of English, too, though there are certain other languages I wouldn't mind learning.

4. Some access to art and music. Mainly music.

I had other requirements in mind for the new place, but just listing these four has brought me down a bit. I don't know of any place that meets these four needs, much less any of the others.

And I am of two minds about making a big move anyway. I don't know that it can help me resolve my central issues.

But I don't know that it can't, either, which is why I open the discussion up for your input.

So please make suggestions if you have any, and let me know where I might look for a home, a place to live, not just exist.

Don't know what I could offer as a prize for the best suggestion, but I'll try to think of something more substantial than my gratitude.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, that it's, you have to move to poland. that is the place to go.

MrScribbler said...

I'm well, stunned. Would never have thought of that....

Even if this doesn't turn out to be the best suggestion, it is certainly unique!

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, many US corporations are outsourcing American jobs to Poland because they can find college-educated Poles who speak flawless English who will work for a fraction of the salary of their US counterparts. I hear it's beautiful.

MrScribbler said...

Wow! Two votes for Poland!

Hmmmm...have to check into language courses....

Doug said...

Kingston, Ontario sounds a lot like that. As a university town there are lots of students and faculty of various ethnicities.

There are malls, of course, but not in the downtown (where housing is more expensive.

There is live theatre and music available most days.

And we're located almost in the center between Toronto and Montreal, with Ottawa about a hundred miles away.

I know you wouldn't seriously entertain the thought of moving to Canada, I'm just pointing out some of our features here in Kingston. (I won't talk about the six area prisons).

My tongue is covered with gezkkmkm today.

MrScribbler said...

I'd consider Canada, dal, but it wouldn't consider me, I'm afraid. I tried once, a long time ago....

I bet they have good umnrqkq up there!

John0 Juanderlust said...

You're getting better suggestions than I am, I think. Maybe you spelled out your parameters better. Eternal bliss on a poor man's budget is my main criterium.

But I'm starting aver 100%. No carrer or life to speak of.

Then there are thoise who think we are nuts to even think of this. Oh well.

MrScribbler said...

I don't know if they are "better," HarpO! Everyone seems to want me to leave the country!

gillardia said...

Hmmm. That's a tough one. I have recently pondered moving, too. Of course, first I would need to find a job, which isn't going well. I was considering the Carolinas. It would definitely meet the cost of living requirement. Not sure about the others though. Okay, so maybe I wasn't much help here..

MrScribbler said...

gillardia, I liked the Carolinas, too. Nice people, great scenery.... NASCAR, too.

The humidity down there gets me, though. On the other hand, they have fireflies. I dig that.

Anonymous said...

How about Boise, Idaho? I hear it's beautiful, diverse enough and doesn't break an arm and a leg for most living requirements.

MrScribbler said...

Ummm...thanks, but no thanks, Lola. That area is out of the ruuning, as matters stand now....

Anonymous said...

How about good ole rainy England, at least you wouldnt have any problems with the language. We dont do big malls though, would that be a problem?

MrScribbler said...

Oooooh, susanneanne, I'd love to live in the UK! Wonder if they'd let me in? Would you like to adopt me?

Anonymous said...

Yeha hop on a plane ..as long as you are house trained i will adopt you ** chuckles

MrScribbler said...

MsDraggs, I've heard that disco is still big in Poland...that frightens me.

Anonymous said...

Just outside of Dayton, Ohio is beautiful....close to everything it seems, big city, beautiful museums, arts galleries, cheaper to live in than the East and West coast....and very beautiful countryside. Two hours to Indy, less than two hours to Columbus, about three hours to Toldeo, about two hours to Lousiville....and the winters, well really aren't that bad (I say that as a transplant from San Francisco)and I'm not a big fan of ice or snow.