Monday, May 08, 2006

To Munich...by a circuitous route....

After one last night in my miniature hotel room in Stuttgart, I found myself being taken south to Munich. First stop, Munich's flughafen where, in one area, three classic aircraft are on permanent display. While I was there, the three-engine Fokker passenger plane -- which looks oddly like a low-wing version of the Ford Tri-motor, and sat near a Constellation and a DC-3 -- had a Mercedes-Benz 170D of the same vintage parked close by. This was one of the first passenger cars with a Diesel engine...


Then we were on the road, first a stretch of autobahn -- always a fun experience! -- and then onto secondary roads that led into Alpine foothills. The small towns of Bavaria are charming, to say the least; this was either St Quirin or Tegernsee; don't remember which...


Sadly, I had little time to savor the beauty of the Alps except through a car window. It might be just as well that our stops were brief; I'd still be there if the decision had been left to me...


Too soon, we had to make our way into Munich and the hotel, which is a converted post office adjacent to the main railway station...


No tiny rooms here! The Sofitel is resolutely modern inside; even a bit kinky, with the big-enough-for-two bathtub separated from the bed by a large window. Another thing that made me wiah I hadn't been alone there...


Finally, and apropos of nothing at all, I have to say the Bavarian Red Cross has the coolest ambulance I've ever seen!


There was ample time for some out-and-about in Munich, but that must wait until the next entry....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just stayed in a Sofitel property in Papeete. The hotel was nice enough, but we were not impressed by the staff. At all.

MrScribbler said...

The staff was fine at this one, fin. Especially the concierge; she pointed me right to the best toy store in the city!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»