Monday, May 01, 2006

Random ruminations

My back hurts.

Maybe it was all that floor-scrubbing last night. Or the carrying of seven large piles of trash down to the dumpster. Or could it have been the emergency midnight rebuild of my previously reliable Hoover that chose a critical time to crap out?

No matter.

Fortified by aspirin and coffee, I'm contemplating the hour's-worth of work I have to do this morning before I leave. Trivia. I have it handled.

One moment of personal anger this morning: I use "google alerts" to tell me when my name -- the real one, that is -- appears on the 'net. This morning's version tells me that, once again, I've been ripped off by a website that is using material I wrote for a magazine -- which, legally, bought only first-publication rights to my articles -- without paying me for it. Damn.

I've had a chance to scan the news, and am again both amused and horrified. In honor of the "Day Without Illegals," The Los Angeles Times is giving us a "Day Without Editorials." Damn, I knew something good would come out of this! Now, if the New York Times would follow suit, and keep it up for a few years....

I hope the voters -- those who vote legally, that is -- are paying attention to who among the politicos are supporting the lunacy of giving in to the mob. If this series of protests by and for people who have broken the law and advocate the further Balkanization of our society achieves its goal, we are one step closer to anarchy.

As happens all too often, my horoscope taunts me. It's a good thing I don't believe in the astrology stuff. Of course I wish I could believe in it, wish it could be accurate:

Aries Mar 21 - Apr 19
Someone makes you a romantic offer you just can't refuse. And why should you? This offer is pretty darned fantastic. Questioning your luck will just put unnecessary doubts in your head. Move!


After 2:45, this will also be a "Day Without Mr Scribbler." As will Tuesday through Saturday. When I get back, expect pictures and stories. If anything interesting happens, that is.

And that, for now, is all I have to say.

Seeya.

1 comment:

John0 Juanderlust said...

I want the stories and pictures now, you ungrateful slacker!
Oh, while you are over there, refuse to do any extra domestic, farm, or construction work without a work permit, just to show them how they suffer when people who don't legally live there refuse to offer services. But do try to get some sort of public assistence or enroll in school at their expense.