Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fallout...

...from the Great Computer Crash of 2006.

I had to call my ISP's "help" line twice while setting up the new computer. The printed directions given to connect the DSL service left out a few minor-but-vital details. No biggie; just give 'em a call. Just as I had to do when I hooked it up with the previous computer.

But an interesting tidbit emerged from those calls to New Delhi, or Mumbai, or wherever-the-hell-it-is in India that the helpers are located.

A BIT OF PARENTHETICAL BACKGROUND: my neighborhood was late to offer DSL, because the phone system wasn't set up for it. A couple of years ago, the phone company supposedly installed the necessary hardware around the area, and then we all joined the Modern Age.

While helping me fix my connections, one of the reps mentioned that my DSL speed was slow. By some long-distance wizardry, he tested my lines, and then announced -- at least this is what I got through his accent -- that the nearest DSL "relay" was more than 7000 feet away, which means I can't get the advertised connection speed. Not now, not ever.

As it happens, I pay AT&T a hefty sum every month for "high-speed internet." Granted, it's faster than dial-up, but is slower than promised by roughly one-third.

I think I'll be calling them about this. Seems to me some kind of adjustment is in order.

PARENTHETICAL THOUGHT II: I know, I know...not holding my breath....

Ah, well. What's one more broken promise? I got a million of 'em....

4 comments:

Doug said...

The limit for DSL is 18,000 feet, but the higher speed levels require a much shorter distance to the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer). Mine is about 5000 feet away, and I regularly get 4Mbit connections. The lines in your area could be bad, my brother's connection (and phone service) was horrible at his last residence.

I hope you get the qovnvbdn's sorted out.

MrScribbler said...

Believe me, dal, I'm going to give those whgxxprs a piece of my mind about this....

And there's no doubt the wiring here isn't helping. The building was put up in the 1970s and I think the owner got the wiring from a salvage yard....

gillardia said...

Man that sucks! You should get cable if that's available in your area. my cable modem works great and it's fast. It's expensive, but DSL is not available for me, and probably never will be.

Gill

John0 Juanderlust said...

Due to AT&T's refusal to discuss things that needed adjustment, and their arrogance in the process, I cut off all dealings with them a few years ago. I won't work with them on any level.
It's the only company ever to piss me off like that, basically telling me I was lying.