Sunday, June 25, 2006

Derelicts...

...and no, it's not a series of self-portraits!

Down by the docks, there's lots of space for outdoor storage. I've driven past this particular area countless times, but have never stopped to look. Today, I did.

Among the old cars rusting away here -- and rust they do, in the salty air -- are this trio from the late '40s/early '50s: from left to right, Hudson, Mercury and Nash...


A much newer Buick Riviera is probably the least salvageable piece of the lot, having suffered much more than the rest from the rust bug (or, as the Brits call it, "tinworm")....


An unusual sight is this '49 Frazer. I recall these cars, built by Henry J. Kaiser (of Kaiser Steel and Kaiser Permanente fame; a nearly identical car was sold as a "Kaiser"), as my father had one when I was very small. They were actually quite good, but not good enough; the last Frazer was built in 1951, the last U.S.-made Kaiser in '55...


Oddly enough, three vintage aircraft engines are stashed here as well. These, as I understand it, are worth some serious money, and being out in the open like this can't be good for them....


I love looking at old junk like this. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Frazer, which looks ready to drive....

7 comments:

Doug said...

Any of them would be worthwhile to fix up, if you got enough vwbki.

MrScribbler said...

Time and xpgxjnwk, that's all it takes....

gillardia said...

Nice pics.

Anonymous said...

I sure can understand why you would like that car. I love old cars, and it is so sad to see them rust away.
Roz

Dorrie said...

why are the rotting away? what a pity! they belong in a museum at least... what a wkahbvoe

MrScribbler said...

None are particularly rare or valuable, birdie. Still wish I could get hold of the Frazer, though, even if it would take more keemxet than I have....

Wizardress said...

Great photos. Imagine what they would looked like restored.

*hugs* Sending you a bit of love today!