Saturday, September 01, 2007

Well, Larry...

...don't let the toilet-stall door hit your ass as you leave....

I don't think he needed to resign for what he allegedly did in that men's room. If indeed he was playing footsie with the cop, that's the equivalent of being popped for jaywalking compared to some of the crimes committed by other senators who cast themselves as "moral leaders."

No, where ol' Larry messed up was in his reactions. All that phony indignation, the endless I-am-not-gay rants...it was just too damn much. And then to say it wouldn't be fair to his constituents to stay in office while he "pursues other remedies" -- like what? A spay/neuter clinic? A retraction of his guilty plea? -- is eerily like Nixon's resignation. It's everyone else's fault that he lost power....

The Democrats were wise to stay out of this. They are too corrupt to judge, and the Republicans are stupid enough to think turning their backs on him for "moral" reasons will impress the public and make them look better.

It doesn't matter if Craig is gay. Most people are mature enough to accept that. But most people find soliciting public bathroom sex distasteful. Unhygenic, too.

I hope this brings the whole Craig affair -- so to speak -- to an end*.

It'd be so nice to have a few days -- maybe even a whole week -- without some fool of an elected official making a total jerk of him- or herself.

Not likely, though.

* I had a large, ranting tangent to play off Larry Craig's self-destruction, but I think I'll save it for later.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure the David Lettermans of the world are thanking Craig for giving them new material.
I know I spent time today advising my male co-workers to be careful in the airport restrooms, "No tapping feet or reaching under the divider. Just go in do what you have to do and walk out!".

I could actually do an entire MrScrib rant on this subject! However I am quite aware that my rants could never be as articulate and well-written as MrScribs :)
Basically, the guy is a jerk.
Just gross soliciting in a public bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Ya think if pay toilets were brought back this wouldn't be such a problem? LOL.

MrScribbler said...

Ummmm...how much we gonna charge for those pay toilets, Int? And what do you get for your money?

I've been lucky, I guess. Never had to hit the stalls in one of them. I think I'll keep it that way....

Anonymous said...

I say good riddance. He pleaded guilty. What people do in private is one thing, but trolling in a public rest room is disgusting. And like you said, neither party can claim the high ground any more. They're in a headlong race to the bottom.

Charlestonjoan said...

I agree - it's not about what he may or may not be it's how he handled the whole thing. Badly.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more.

Dorrie said...

Even the German press was all over this story. Each news show reported it and showed the re-staged scenes. As if there isn't any more important news going on! geeeez

Anonymous said...

I remember as a kid, some public places having pay toilets and it cost a quarter. With inflation blah blah, probably now it would cost a dollar and you couldn't use your debit card.

:)

John0 Juanderlust said...

Pay toilets would do nothing
When I was a kid we just crawled under if we had the need to use them.
Being able to legally zap someone with a taser or maybe shoot him in the foot would work