Sunday, September 23, 2007

The countdown begins...

...as I have two days remaining before leaving for Montana.

I will say I'm somewhat disappointed that I will not be able to extend my visit. Various schedules -- mainly mine -- could not be altered to make a few more days possible. One downside of this is that I have to pack almost as much wintry clothing for two days as I would for four or five. So much for the small bag that held all my needs for Seattle; just in case, winter coat, boots and various thermal undergarments , all somewhat bulky, have to go.

Before settling down on the plane Wednesday morning, I have a lot of small items to deal with, including laundry, a haircut, writing, and on and on.

And I have to call the travel agent. The time differential between arriving and departing flights at Salt Lake City is a nerve-wracking 30 minutes. Granted I'm not flying my least-favorite airline, which hasn't made an on-time arrival since the mid-1930s, but the window between planes is damn small. And my bag is too large to be carry-on luggage....

Don't get me wrong. I am still looking forward to this trip with something approaching glee. I hope I'll be able to see some of the gorgeous area we'll be in. I expect to be repeatedly distracted from what I'm there to do by the scenery.

It should be fun. I love traveling, love flying. It's airports I despise. Well, that and the necessity of actually working when I get to nice places.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun on your trip! I sure wish I had a job where I traveled more. That would be absolutely perfect RIGHT NOW. Not long-term, but right now.

Gill

MrScribbler said...

Gill -- I enjoy the travel. And I'd like it to slow down or end long-term for the same reasons you would....

Anonymous said...

Fun! What books are we reading on thsi trip?

MrScribbler said...

Joan -- The Thin Man, of course! Plus I have a new bio of Huey Long if there's time....

John0 Juanderlust said...

Bring a small bag of essentials, like a change of clothes, on board no matter what. It takes up no room, and at least you have something if the big bag is delayed. After working in the industry I always do that.

MrScribbler said...

John -- depending on Wednesday's weather, I may still get by with the small bag. All depends on whether I can wear some of the heavy stuff -- like the boots -- and carry the monstro jacket when I board the plane.

If not, I'm taking your suggestion, you can bet.