Sunday, December 30, 2007

Well, I lied...

...not completely, you understand. I washed the dishes. When you have no clean coffee/tea/hot chocolate mugs, life stops.

But I did not work on any articles. Nuh-uh, can't do it. Better to say I don't want to. I will, eventually, maybe even later today. But any of those on the front burner right now are simply adding to what I'm owed and not receiving. When I can somehow concentrate on what the reader gets (information, entertainment) as opposed to what the editor gets (a lot of time and expertise that gets paid for when he feels like paying), I'll be able to spit out the requisite number of words.

I know I yammer on about this stuff and, if you're not in the freelance biz, it must be boring as hell. But it is the sum total of my life at the moment.

Not that I want it that way. My other yearnings are far stronger, but must be repressed in favor of survival.

I can only hope I'll be able to indulge myself in what I consider the most important gifts life can bestow before I'm too old, tired and cynical to dig them.

Right now, I need to go for a walk. Haven't been spending enough time at that, to the detriment of both mind and body.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You put it all into a healthy perspective, and I do wonder what you love more than freelance writing.

Anonymous said...

Walking is a great way to empty your head. At the same time it's great for the mind's 'backburner' Ideas usually hit me after a walk - do you get that Scribbler?

Anonymous said...

Good post. =) Enjoy your walk and do it often.