Thursday, December 27, 2007

As if I care...

...about the world's woes.

I mean, I do care, but it's damn hard to be worried about the possibility of being vaporized when local excreta keep hitting the rotary ventilation unit.

For those of you in places like, well, Idaho (home of "wide-stance" Larry Craig and other aberrations), that means the shit is hitting the fan.

I should not be surprised that every client who owes me money has managed to take the time between Christmas and New Year's off. I have not received a check in more than a month, and the wolves are circling. They're howling, too.

My "buddy" D., the photographer, has set us up for a gig tomorrow. One of the lowest-paying jobs we have on the list, mind you. Nonetheless, it is money -- even if I don't see it until April or May -- so I have to go. He drives, though...I'm not shelling out for gas to make a 150-mile round-trip for coolie wages. Especially when his part of the deal is a few hours' worth of taking pictures, and mine is several days spent generating words.

The drumbeats trying to get me to move to Wisconsin are intensifying. My friend R. has suggested it before, and now another friend is singing the praises of such a relocation. It's nice to be wanted, I have to admit. All I have to do is figure out how to survive there, and I'm gone, baby.

Having been in Cheese-land before, I know they grow some fine-lookin' chicas there, and I'd be with people who are deep into my musical scene.

I've said it before: music and babes are what life's about.

But in the meantime, I'm here, Where The Ghetto Meets The Sea, drowning.

I no longer have those idiot notions about saving the world.

All I want to do is save my own ass, and have a few laughs while doing so.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going out on a limb here-

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." "The quotation is much more ancient ... from around 1440 AD. "So, the cross is always ready and waits for you everywhere. You cannot escape it no matter where you run, for wherever you go you are burdened with yourself. Wherever you go, there you are." —Thomas a Kempis, Imitation of Christ, ca. A.D. 1440.

Unknown said...

Wow man! Have you ever given this some thought - Grow Where You Are Planted. If you are planted "Where the Ghetto Meets the Sea," why not grow in that experience? You sound like the most miserable human being I've ever encountered.

Anonymous said...

Gratitude equals wealth. Wealth equals gratitude. You’ve probably heard one of those expressions before… or at least something similar. Certainly the connection seems true on an internal, emotional level. It’s hard to imagine feeling wealthy without also being grateful. And if you’re truly grateful, you probably feel wealthy as well, regardless of your actual circumstances.

Because of this apparent connection between wealth and gratitude, many so-called wealth experts suggest that if you want to increase your wealth, you should focus on being more grateful. This sounds pretty good on the surface and meshes well with the Law of Attraction. The idea is that by feeling more grateful, you’ll feel more wealthy and thereby attract more abundance into your life.

Anonymous said...

Here's my attempt at philosophy, too: "Things happen for a reason". A piano fell into your lap, so to speak, you have musical buddies wanting your attention, your patrons seem to have forgotten your mailing address...take a hint, friend. Seems like minimum wage in liberal-land is better than no wage in The Ghetto. (Politically have you thought about how you'll be out there by yourself in Wisconsin? And rumor has it it's very cold there, too. I'm just sayin'.) And you can still write for pocket money, can't you? Whatever you decide, good luck. :)

S

Anonymous said...

Land of cheese, eh? Man, the thought of paying those fuel bills to stay warm 9 month's out of the year would be my reasoning/choice to remain in hell....

Bud