Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve-ning...

...and jolly old St Nick is dispensing prezzies in Puerto Santa Cruz, Argentina.

Did you ever stop to think how many languages the guy has to know?

If anything, I'm feeling worse, emotionally if not symptom-wise. A neighbor came by to invite me to Christmas Eve dinner, but I'm probably infectious as hell right now. Ditto for a possible outing for a meal & movie tomorrow; I don't want to repay kindness with sickness....

My friend H. volunteered to serve meals today at a large homeless shelter downtown. I'm proud of her. It's not something I could do easily, especially in these days when my emotions are running so close to the surface. Right now, I'd be more interested in finding volunteers to save my tired ass....

Diana's singing in my ear(phone)s about the "Winter Wonderland" she's in, which of course bears no resemblance to Where The Ghetto Meets The Sea. Some of the day's warmth lingers -- or I'm running a slight fever -- and the sky is clear as can be.

Not much else here in the way of entertainment. My years-long avoidance of TV means I've missed the umpty-bazillionth replay of "It's a Wonderful Life." All I can say to George Bailey is "I got yer angel right here...hangin'...." My angel would laugh fiendishly as I took the big plunge into the icy river.

Well, this is California, after all, and the river would likely be dry.

I'm bummed out. I hope I didn't spread that as I would my germs to anyone who got near.

I will, as the song says, be home for Christmas. Either sitting in this fershlugginer chair or in bed.

Damn me. Santa is now in Macchu Picchu, Peru. I've seen pictures of the place. Would like to drop by for a visit sometime.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if "Santa seeks Mrs Claus" is to be believed, he speaks just one language but you hear it in your own language in your head, kind of like the unviersal translator deal Star Trek has but using magic...

Hope you feel better soon, Merry Christmas Scrib!

Doug said...

He probably uses a babelfish.

I guess you have also missed the annual reruns of A Charlie Brown Christmas. I saw the original airing of that.

I'm having an OK Christmas, but there is somewhere I would rather be...

Merry Christmas is only a wish, but I do wish it for you, Scribbs.

becomingkate said...

Peru, meh. I haven't liked that country since I discovered Bill might meet a girl from there, back in 2004. That didn't happen, I got him,(obviously)!
I'd love to help out at a homeless shelter, but we don't have one here.
Merry Christmas Scribs! I wish we could have met up this year.

Anonymous said...

My condolences Scrib. The cold you have is going around. Every member of my household has had it. I am taking about the actual "cold" not the Christmas spirit. I don't have any of that this time 'round.

If you gets lots of sleep/rest you may just miss most, if not all, of Christmas this year :D

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that in 24 hours it will be about over. And I'm glad for that.

Gill

Anonymous said...

Santa's made it to New York right now. Hope you feel better soon, Scrib!