Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas light show -- finale

If there was one thing that struck me most as we walked through the light-bedecked streets, it was the attitude of the people who walked, stood around or drove through the several blocks of decorations.

The houses were almost all worth looking at...



And simpler displays made a nice contrast...



It'd take someone more familiar than I with holiday rituals and traditions to say what a small Ferris wheel has to do with Christmas...



But it was the crowds that made it feel extra-nice. All friendly, a few stopping to comment ("getting good pictures?") while H. and I snapped off shots, people speaking Spanish, Japanese -- Toyota and Honda have their US headquarters nearby, and both have brought in plenty of people from the Home Office to work there -- and English. Young people had tables and booths set up where they sold cookies, hot chocolate, popcorn and heaven knows what else to raise money for their high schools' bands, choirs, cheerleading squads, etc.

I really wanted to photograph a lot of the people -- including a man who was walking his dog on a leash wrapped with Christmas lights -- but by the time I was ready to get to it, I had a camera-full of dead batteries. But they were what made the experience special. Just walking around under hundreds of thousands of lights alone would have meant nothing.

Should have gotten a photo of H., too. She looked so seasonally appropriate in her fur-collared quilted vest. I was tempted to grab a snap of her under the hang-gliding Santa, but she was down the street aiming her camera at something else. Had I done so, you would have seen the happiness of the occasion reflected on her face.

Fortunately, no one took my picture. Gray-bearded bears in bright-blue parkas ain't too photogenic.

On one street we did see a group of Christmas carolers, singing with the enthusiasm and beauty that only comes from wanting to be there singing for the sheer joy of it...



And with that, my story of the Christmas Lights of Torrance (or was it Lomita? -- comes to an end.

It was a wonderful evening...

10 comments:

Doug said...

You were wearing a parka. What was the temp, 14°F? :-)

Christmas lights seem to put people in a good mood, even if Christmas itself doesn't. Even I feel good when looking at the lights.

I'm glad that you and H. had such a wonderful time, and thank you for helping to brighten up my Sunday.

MrScribbler said...

dal -- I said second-warmest parka, didn't I? Probably didn't get below the mid-40s, and I eventually took it off.

Glad you enjoyed it. You'd have liked better in person.

Anonymous said...

Well, that was quite a show! Spectacular images- visual, as well as written. If I hadn't found you on Google I would have missed out. Peace on Earth and Good Will to all you men!

Anonymous said...

That was a happy holiday post with cheery pics to boot. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Cool light show. I imagine it is pretty easy to go Christmas Caroling when its ONLY 40. I caroled for years in blustery WNY.

We saw an awesome display on the way home, right at the Thousand Islands. Almost looked like a light theme park you could drive around in. Alas it was POURING and dark out so a shot would've been worthless :(

Anonymous said...

I give, what is with the ferris wheel, other than it just looks damn cool? Am I going to have to google this?

MrScribbler said...

Puzzled me too, Morph! But yeah, it was damn cool.

Looked reindeer-sized to me....

Anonymous said...

Torrance.

Charlestonjoan said...

What an incredible show! How fun.

Dorrie said...

lovely light shows... they made me homesick :-( yes, some Germans have started decorating their homes, too, but usually one house among lots of non-decorated.... thanks for showing!

and Merry Christmas!! {hugs}

Dorrie