Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas light show -- part 2

We were told that the whole show in this neighborhood is installed and fully lit the day after Thanksgiving. While in my Grinch-ness I'd rather the folks waited a bit, there's no doubt that they helped provide Christmas bonuses to the Department of Water and Power...



Santas abounded, of course. Some were the traditional sort, delivering their prezzies the traditional way...



While at least one seemed to have got the hang (so to speak) of more modern forms of delivery...



Not all the decorations were secular, devoted to what Stan Freberg famously called "keeping the "X" in Christmas." This house had an angel watching over its driveway (or perhaps over the shiny new fully-loaded Ford F-150 pickup I cropped out of the image)...



There was a manger scene, too. I know my favorite chronicler of life in Charleston would have pointed out that the baby Jesus was not, according to all accounts, born prematurely and thus should not have yet made his appearance, but that seems to be the way of modern manger displays...



The best part of the show -- at least in my view -- is yet to come, and will be in the final chapter....

8 comments:

Charlestonjoan said...

Amazing displays! All that work makes me tired. Can you imagine taking it down?

Baby Jesus - yes, we discourage premature births :)

Anonymous said...

I love all the lights...so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think the first one is the prettiest.

becomingkate said...

I love those light displays! It's Jamie Bday and she's gone already, so we're taking Em on a drive around town.

Anonymous said...

I did the annual drive through last weekend. It sure does seem like a lot of work, but some of the homes are beautiful, indeed.

MrScribbler said...

emd -- How did you know about this? I've lived here six years, and the first I heard of it was when H. said "we ought to go to Torrance."

Or was it Lomita?

stacycakes said...

that is a beautiful manger...thank you!

Doug said...

All wonderful shots, Scribbs. I have a hard time imagining a flying Santa, I think flying reindeer makes more sense ;-)