Saturday, December 15, 2007

Big score...

...at the 99-Cent Store!



The story begins last week, when my buddy R. was telling me he had recently sampled the best Coca-Cola he could remember. It was bottled in Mexico, and was sometimes available in the "ethnic" section of a store maybe 30 minutes' drive from Milwaukee.

This set me to thinking: I live one hell of a lot closer to Mexico than he does, so I ought to be able to find it, ?

What I did not expect was to see cases of the stuff at the local 99-Cent Store today. Never saw them before, and I'm a regular customer of the place. I bought a couple (two for $0.99) and popped one when I got home.

Mmmmm. Tasty!

What's the secret? The hecho en Mexico version does not contain high-fructose corn syrup -- cane sugar is used instead -- or any of the preservatives U.S. Coca-Cola is cut with.

In short, it tastes exactly like the Coke I remember from my days as a yoot. Like before most of y'all were born.

Just got back from a return run to buy a bunch more....

Now I'm wondering just how much R. will shell out -- plus shipping and handling, of course -- for a six-pack or two?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Around Xmastime in NY they sell coke in glass bottles, much smaller than your picture. I always thought it tasted better than cans or plastic bottles, but could be imagination.

I have an "official" coca-cola glass which I keep in the freezer, and when my can of coke from Sams Club is poured in from about 15 inches above the glass, it tastes about as close to my memories of the soda fountain as I can get.

I will need to settle for this. I drink about a sixpack a year; same with the A&W rootbeer mug I purchased in Calgary, much to the confusion and consternation of the young manager of the rootbeer stand.

Happy drinking

Fin

Anonymous said...

We can get the real thing here too! I like it much better

Anonymous said...

There is a Dr Pepper bottler from near here...Dublin, TX to be exact, that still uses real sugar. They say it's much better, and their product is very highly sought after, but since I don't like DP, it doesn't do me any good. I must find this "real" coke dkmcb01 speaks of.

MrScribbler said...

l&s -- easy clues: the bottle shape, the "Media Litro" marking, and a carelessly slapped-on gummed paper "nutrition information" sticker.

Coke has nutritional value?

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous!!! I want some!!!!!!

Gill

Anonymous said...

I love Cokes in bottles. They just taste better. I remember when we went to Mexico on vacation and they told us not to drink the water so I drank only Coke, lol. It didn't bother me! Now I drink Dr. Pepper, all day long.
Betty

Anonymous said...

well....just so happens that i'm drinking a coke when reading this:) but....i add the "kicken chicken" to mine. i.e. Wild Turkey can't even taste the coke really:)

Bud

MrScribbler said...

Bud -- Don't want to mix this stuff...it's too good straight on!

"Normal" Coke is a different deal.

Dorrie said...

we get Coke here in glass bottles or plastic and I do agree, the glass bottle stuff does taste better!

John0 Juanderlust said...

Got to look for the media litro and all that.
I could use an old fashioned coke. Do you have to go to Colombia for the original with the coca?

MrScribbler said...

John -- I'll bet there are people in your very own town who have the ingredient to return Coke to its original formula.

Would take a lot of experimentation to get the proportions right....

Doug said...

Our Coke is made with "sugar/glucose-fructose". Apparently, glucose-fructose is the generic term for high fructose corn syrup.