Monday, October 02, 2006

Still more cars! (the next-to-last chapter)

Ever since I was a wee lad, I've had a thing for sports cars, and there was a veritable bonanza of them to look at. Once again, I'm leaving quite a few out, but here are some of my favorites from Sunday's show.

Let's start with a nice little Riley, one of the premier British speedsters from the 1920s...



This gorgeous Aston Martin DB2/4 was built in 1955. It was the winner in the class I judged...



Next, a Morgan, which looks as if it should have been built in the '20s (or '30s; the first four-wheel Morgan was built in 1935) but came out of England in the '60s...



Of course no show would be complete without the legendary Mercedes-Benz 300SL "Gullwing" coupe. This one was a class-winner as well; the odd paint color is in fact original...



Another personal favorite is the Alfa-Romeo Giulietta "Sprint Speciale." Not only are these wonderful cars examples of Italian design at its most imaginative and overt, but they are an absolute ball to drive...



There were several Jaguar XK-Es on hand. This one is from 1963, the first year of production...



No car show would be complete without Ferraris. This one, also a prize-winner, is a 250 "Lusso," which I consider the most beautiful of all front-engine Ferraris...



I'm going to try to limit coverage of this show to one more entry. It's not going to be easy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't imagine driving one of those - what if I picked up a rock chip?!!
Beautiful autos!

gillardia said...

Great pics Scribbs! Your passion for cars is apparent. :-)

Gill

MrScribbler said...

That's what touch-up paint is for, Kathy!

Quite a few cars at the show are driven fairly regularly...including the Aston Martin in this entry.

MrScribbler said...

Thanks, Gill. I enjoy cars most when I can share the pleasure with others.

Anonymous said...

That was quite a show! What kind of car(s) do you own now? A classic?

MrScribbler said...

Lowandslow -- I'm ashamed to admit that finances forced me to sell off the last of my "classics" several years ago to someone who could give it the restoration it deserved....

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that MrScribbler. But at least you've HAD classic cars...more than I can say. :)

Doug said...

I had a '74 Vega for awhile. And a beat up '72 Cougar XR7 ragtop. Neither was much of an eidhge.

MrScribbler said...

I had a '73 Mazda that was a genuine laefcs, dal.