Friday, April 06, 2007

Prejudiced!

I can't believe it: I'm prejudiced, and I have the egregious-but-hilarious (or hilarious-but-egregious, if you prefer) radio yakker, Bill Handel to thank for that.

Against whom, you may ask, am I prejudiced?

Gays, that's who.

This is unbelievable. I have been around, been friends with, liked and even loved gay people all through my adult years. And before, too. We're talking the whole wide wonderful world of gay-itude here, Jim: male, female and various stages in between.

But now, they're off my list.

This morning, Handel was interviewing the authors of a new book, Queens in the Kingdom: The Ultimate Gay and Lesbian Guide to Disney Theme Parks. I was smiling along with the discussion of "Gay Days" at the parks and all the rest. And why not? I've been to group events at Mouse-Land, and it's always more fun with a few thousand of your closest friends.

Then it all went sour.

One of them mentioned that a "Gay Day" fixture is selecting a particular ride on which singles can meet. Okay, that's cool, too.

And then he mentioned the chosen ride:

It's a Small World.

Seeya, gay-peeps. How am I supposed to respect anyone who voluntarily goes on that ride? Especially if, as I fear, a lot of them will be singing along....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hold on there, Scribbs. Years ago I took my little kids to Disney World, in the middle of summer no less, and I rode that ride many, many times. Why? 'Cause it was AIR CONDITIONED in that damn tunnel. That's why! :)

MrScribbler said...

Now I'm beginning to wonder about you, l&s!

The last time I went on that ride -- this probably would have been 1992 or so -- I required intense grain-beverage therapy to get that song out of my head.

Uh-oh...it's coming back, damnit....

MrScribbler said...

I'm not, JF. In fact, I'm happily humming the "Pirates of the Caribbean" theme right now....

Anonymous said...

thanks Scrib I am NOT humming the song now I AM singing it!

John0 Juanderlust said...

Gay people write books about how to be gay at Disney world? No wonder I usually don't like them. I am happy to be a thought criminal for having likes and dislikes. Gays who write theme park books, I dislike.

Anonymous said...

This is too cool. As I was reading this they were showing the ride on the news, lol. Now I'm singing that song..grrrr...

Anonymous said...

I love the Pirates of the Carribean ride! But, the Haunted mansion is probably the best one in Disney.

Gill

Anonymous said...

La la la la la la la la, it's a small world after all! Yes, me too, I'm singing that song! I've been to DisneyWorld but not to DisneyLand.