Saturday, August 19, 2006

Another Saturday night...

...and, for once, I won't be posting song lyrics or animal photos. Can't find the song I'd like to use for the first, and am not in the mood for the second. Don't worry, though, gratuitous animals will most likely reappear soon....

As always, I'm alone tonight, listening to the radio. Seems odd to listen to a radio host with whom I used to work. He has a "hook" that allowed him to do certain kinds of work denied to me and, after years of parlaying this "asset" in more expected ways, it has led him to radio.

I knew he'd never last in the publishing biz. He didn't really know enough about it, and I suspect he didn't really care. He moved on quickly, attracted lots of local attention and now, despite not being particularly adept at radio by traditional standards -- when I tried it, people who stumbled over words and said "uhhh" and "y'know" a lot had no chance, but that has changed -- has a regular show. More power to you, bro.

Of course I'm only listening because he comes on before Art Bell, anyway, even though Art seems to have lost his touch a bit since moving to Manila. Makes me appreciate the "Coast to Coast AM" show's weeknight host, George Noory, all the more.

Almost all the news this week has been bad. You already know what's going on in the world, and while my opinions may differ a bit from yours, I doubt any of us have had much to cheer about.

Ditto for more local news. Granted, it's been a week without gunfire around here, and the police seem to have had an easy week. But the kind of news that might have deflected me from my own depressing thoughts has not been forthcoming. I thought there might be a slight glimmer of hope early in the week, but that turned out to be a mirage.

Yes, I'm rambling. I can't bring myself to confront my demons directly.

But that's what happens on a lonely, loveless Saturday night.

Just one more in an endless stream of lonely, loveless nights....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any words of comfort. Like others I am dealing with my own storms. Yet I keep looking for that rainbow.
Roz

Anonymous said...

Hi
Ricardo is visiting his mom and i went and slept in Abby's bed, that kings size bed just seemed too big and empty last night.
(Abby was at a friends house)

gillardia said...

I have many nights alone with my radio (well, "alone" in the sense that hubby is in one room in front of the TV and I'm in another room in front of the computer). I hope you have a fun filled evening soon. You deserve a great night out with someone special.

Gill

MrScribbler said...

Gillardia -- if "someone special" ever figures that out, I'm ready....