Friday, February 23, 2007

Playing house...

...since I don't want to leave you with a sour taste in your collective mouth after the last entry. Misery does not, after all, love company.

In my wanderings yesterday, I found myself in the residential areas surrounding downtown Los Angeles. There is a not-nice word that applies to these districts; instead of using it, I'll just say there are barred windows and crumbling houses everywhere, and a general air of filth and decay that is, shall we say, uninspiring.

But if you happen to hit the right streets, you'll find this...


There is a district full of Victorian houses which has, for almost 20 years, been undergoing the "gentrification" process. Many of the homes have been restored -- at considerable expense -- and even those not yet brought back to full splendor are being worked on...



Not all Victorians are alike, of course...



And there are occasional newer houses (from the early 1900s), like this one in the "California Bungalow" style, which is my favorite...



But in this two- or three-block area, some of what once made Los Angeles a great city is being preserved...



And even though I will never, ever be able to afford one of these wonderful homes, I still enjoy looking...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those houses are so cool!

Gill

Anonymous said...

I love the older homes...the last one we owned was a storey and a half old farmhouse with a basement wall made from hewn out rocks...I loved that place! past tense...ty for posting these lovely pics...Lou

Anonymous said...

Those old victorian homes are beautiful, but I know for a fact they're a maintenance nightmare. The bungalow is simpler and more to my taste. Thanks for sharing the photos. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! I love houses, especially old ones. There's some little towns here that have the older homes that I just love to go and drive around looking at them. You can see people sitting on porches. Who has porches anymore? What a great entry. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos, Scribbs. I love old houses like that. Those are extremely nice. Have a great weekend! :)

Dorrie said...

I love those houses! You can find many in Coronado and I always wonder if the owners would mind if I took pictures...
but I wouldn't want to do the cleaning... so, as in life, there are advantages and disadvantages....