Saturday, January 12, 2008

Those oldies but...

...still, despite the passage of time, pictures I like.

I had a conversation with my adopted daughter today (and I wish all y'all would go over there and leave a comment telling her to start writing and posting pictures again!). The subject of my long-ago series of shoes-on-a-wire images came up, and I later started pulling them out in hopes of thinking of something to do with them. She was, after all, the inspiration for them, as her attitude toward photography is, well, pretty uninhibited, and she got me to loosen up a bit after I got my digital.

So here's the second one (the first was pretty ordinary, I have to say), dating back to late 2005. The series ended about a year later, when the second pair of shoes (also shown in later photos) was cut down, and no one replaced them...



While looking for those images, I also found the photo from which I cut my profile pic. I still like it, too. This is also from late '05...



I'm not going to make a habit of reposting old photos that appeared in my old journal, no siree.

But it's a quiet evening here, and sorting through the old stuff is somewhat relaxing.

And I do have a pair of running shoes that are nearing the end of their life, and I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, if I tie the laces together, and go out late one night and fling 'em up at the wires....

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

those racoons look like they might be up for the job of throwing your old tennis shoes up on a pair of wires.

Anonymous said...

The title of your blog is unique. What possessed you to come up with that particular theme?

I found you on Google.

MrScribbler said...

anon -- I suspect the raccoons would rather play with the shoes than throw them.

Sad to say, I picked the title because I had to have a title...later, I grew to like it.

Anonymous said...

'nuff said. There are quite a few phantom scribblers found on Google.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen many shoes on a wire incidents lately. Where I lived in Miami used to be good for that. Maybe I'll leave Memphis a present of artfully stranded shoes on a wire.

comments on the blink, back to anonymous
john
harpofly

Anonymous said...

I remember your shoes on the wire pics! I'll have to check out her page.

Gill

Anonymous said...

I've got a few shoes on the wire shots too. Always wondered if there was a point or if it was just fun to do.

MrScribbler said...

Joan -- I've heard two stories about shoes-on-a-wire: one is that they mark areas where drugs can be bought, and the other is that they are supposed to show gangbanger territory.

Since I'm neither a drug-seller or gangbanger, I'm going to be making an "artistic statement" when I get some up there.

Wonder if I can get a government grant to do it?

Anonymous said...

I've never seen the pic where the profile shot came from. Your profile shot has always been one of my favorites, though!

Anonymous said...

I love that shot of the raccoons, and I am glad that you reposted it. :)

Anonymous said...

aaah, memories!

Doug said...

I know there is a pair of shoes on a wire somewhere, I drive past them every week. Unfortunately, I think they are in a place I might not be able to stop. And the shot would have to be taken with a phone cam.