Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday starts with a...

...big, fat thud.

One of my editors takes center stage. With clever manipulation of typography and photo placement, he has manged to cut the amount he owes me for two articles in half (he pays "by the page") while still getting to use all the words I wrote.

There's a word for people like him. Several words, really.

And my so-called budget is now down the toilet. Farther into the sewer than it was before, if that's possible.

I need to get away today, so I don't have any interaction with clients -- especially that one -- or the ever-lengthening line of people who want my money. And, probably, my blood.

So: into shower, then into car and down the road.

5 comments:

Dorrie said...

sometimes I wonder why you still bother writing for them at all! make them finally realize what happens if you don't send them any more articles. I know you need cash, but you sure don't seem to be getting any by working for them. You could get more being a door greeter at WallyMart!

I do hope you are sending out some resumees....

Anonymous said...

Think you can take some nice pics while you're out? DH is going through some horrible things at his place of employment. I think it may be causing some of his health issues. Hope things get better for you really soon! (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Your writing seems to be in great demand, so can you pick and choose who you work for, or are you forced to just accept what crumbs they throw your way? At some point, like Dorrie said, it just isn't worth the effort to bust your butt and turn out quality writing when they scheme to find ways to cheat you. Are there just not enough good, fair, respectful publishers/editors out there to go around?

Anonymous said...

Hum???? Must be the day...I feel that way too, except i can't go anywhere...losing the motor in my car...sheesh, I'm going back to bed...LL

Wolf said...

Where do you go when you feel like that? I'd like some ideas because that road's becoming a little too familiar to me these days.

I won't tell you to find another job, because I personally know how hard that can be and how depressing it is to hear it.

Hey, at least you have a resume to send out.