Monday, January 14, 2008

I haven't written here today...

...because I'm in a damn good mood.

That doesn't mean today was free of things that made me want to see certain people ripped to shreds by rabid weasels, oh no.

It simply means that two good friends, whom I value more than I can (or would, at least at present) say, cheered me up immensely. Neither did anything they would consider special, I'm sure; they were simply themselves, and made me feel a bit humble (not to mention honored and delighted) that they seem to like me.

Compared to them, the continued and increasing idiocy of photographer D., the lack of interest some clients keep showing in paying me what they owe, and the receipt of my sample ballot for next month's primary elections -- said ballot full, as always, of greed, mendacity and chicanery -- couldn't do more than cause momentary irritation.

But they tried. Man, how they tried.

I know people who claim to have dozens of "friends" with whom they are as close as bodies and underwear. On the other hand, I can count maybe five people, six maximum -- including the two who unknowingly and in different ways made my day today -- for whom I would (or would have, when they were still among the living) cheerfully take a hike through molten lava.

In my experience, many people don't value their true friends highly enough.

I do, fellow babies. These people own me, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It's a gift freely given.

There is nothing more important in life than having a select few people who are firmly lodged in your heart, whom you trust, care deeply for, and who care for you.

Here endeth today's lesson.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so true and so important to cherish and nurture those few and far between relationships. Lou

Anonymous said...

I agree. There aren't many in life but Lord, how precious they are.

Anonymous said...

Worth more than anything, for sure!