Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I learn something new...

...every time I read stories from the North Korean News Agency.

I can't think of anything to add to this report:

Makgolli, Folk Drink of Korea
Pyongyang, January 30 (KCNA) -- The Korean people are fond of Makgolli (unrefined liquor), a folk drink. From olden times the Korean peasants have been used to gather together at break and lunch time and to relieve themselves from fatigue, drinking Makgolli.
Makgolli is made mainly with starch.
The boiled and cooled starch is mixed with malt and some boiled rice. The mixture is fermented for five-seven days at the temperature of 25-27 degrees centigrade and 75 percent of relative humidity. It is filtered out before drinking.
It contains alcohol below ten percent and a lot of nutritive elements including sugar.
It tastes sour and sweet and makes the drinkers exhilarant.
It is also applicable for disease treatment.
Makgolli made from the boiled root bark of Acanthopanax sessiliflorum and hulled adlay makes spleen, stomach and intestines healthy. And it is efficacious for treating such diseases as arthritis and neuralgia.


I could use something to make me feel "exhilarant," I must say....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too, Scribs. Me, too.

Gill

Anonymous said...

Wow, I need to get some of that stuff!

MrScribbler said...

Gill and Sally -- since Mr J. Beam's Golden Remedy seems to have lost its charm for me, I need a shot of this stuff, too!

Anonymous said...

There's bound to be a better way to get a buzz.

Anonymous said...

I love the vague "efficacious for treating diseases such as...." It pretty much gives you a general blessing to go ahead and enjoy. Cheers!