Friday, May 20, 2011

A Man of the Soil -- Still!

Yes, D. and I went down to the dump this morning and loaded up on nice, rich, odoriferous dirt...four loads in the bed of her Toyota pickup.

Transported home, it filled the two vegetable boxes quite nicely. All that remains -- and I will watch, but not let my brown thumb gets too near growing stuff, lest the inevitable happens and we are condemned to subsist on store-bought tomatoes all year -- is to stick them little plant-things in their new, vitamin-enriched home and get ready to gobble some home-grown food!

Have to say the process of dirt-scooping at the Transfer Station and unscooping at home was a bit rough on my arms. I could blame the extra weight of the wet soil, but D. did more than her share of shoveling, and I haven't heard her complain. More likely I'm just woefully out of shape after a sedentary few years.

But, hey, I'm a writer...I'm supposed to know how to shovel dirt and, well, manure....

Buffy the Buffalo's friend...Lucy* the Llama!
Tomorrow afternoon is the car show in Merrimac. I'm in the mood for a nice drive through the countryside, and not at all opposed to the idea of scarfing another burger at Skip's. It will also be fun to see what cars the locals bring out to show off. At worst, it will be much more fun than watching the pompous wealthy deigning to show their mega-dollar cars to the proles as I have so often had to do in the past. Pictures? Could happen....

It's another foggy night here in Sandy Bay. Hasn't rained all day, and the likelihood of more rain in the immediate future seems to have lessened. That means more walks, more yard work, and perhaps in time a chance to wear shorts again and put the sweatshirts away for the season.


* D. thinks the llama's name is Lucy, anyway. I don't know -- only Buffy had a sign. The cow remains unidentified....

5 comments:

deb said...

"get ready to gobble some home-grown food!"

You are extremely optimistic.

'D'

MrScribbler said...

I'm just an optimistic kind of guy, you know....

Ptolemy said...

I'm especially talented at growing enormous tomato plants with measly fruit that grows black rot on the bottom... I gave up and planted lettuce this year! But you can dream, indeed!

Dairy Train actually dared open today!

Hey, do you know you're living in Paul Russell's neighborhood? (Speaking of people deigning to show mega-dollar cars...)

Ptolemy said...

OMG! I just this minute found this, completely coincidentally... Despite being a fan when I was 17, I never, ever heard this before today:
http://youtu.be/etuszlplwpg

Anonymous said...

Lucy the Llama, hum.