Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A chance to escape...

...is what I've been craving, and am finally getting.

Unfortunately, it's only for two days.

This week, in fact the last three weeks, have been an absolute nightmare. It has been a time of unrelenting stress, nightmares and that helpless feeling of being propelled at top speed toward a very large and very thick brick wall.

Today was the worst, beginning with a humiliating message from an editor I don't know who works for a former (and, I hope, future) client. My friend D., the photographer, got me into that mess in his inimitable way; I'm not yet certain how it will resolve.

A couple of friends have been steadfast through all this evil. One, in particular, should now be in Karma Heaven if my appreciation for her aid and comfort go into her good-deeds account, as they should.

Others, not so much. A consequence of having their own lives, I guess. Can't blame them; I'm not exactly a barrel o' fun these days.

Anyway, the escape: I've been asked to go back over to Catalina Island for two days to do some work there. It won't solve any of my problems here, but will take my mind off them and allow me to buy groceries when I get back.

Though only 25 or so miles off the coast, it is far enough removed from here that I can ordinarily put all the strain and pain out of my mind. This will be a major test of that effect.

But I do have to come back.

This just ain't the way it should be, Jim....

8 comments:

Dorrie said...

I know how much you love Catalina. Pity you can't get a permanent job there and also move there... now wouldn't that be cool?

Enjoy the distraction time.... you know I think of you often! {hugs}

Joan said...

Two days is better than none. I wanna go to. Enjoy!

aka mag said...

Escapism is underrated! I may get chance to go to a (free) concert Sat. night. That's about as away as I'll be able to get.

The Catalina gig sounds great (literally and figuratively).

Thinking of you.

MrScribbler said...

Dorrie -- I could hack living there for maybe a year, I think. After that, it might get a wee bit claustrophobic....

Joan -- So come on down! I'll give you the Grand Tour...of places you've never thought about wanting to visit!

Enjoy your concert, mag! The work part of the trip, at least, will be Great. Swell, too....

aka mag said...

Well, you are a couple(r) octaves above the rest.

NoWay said...

Escapes are sweet. Enjoy and I hope it gives you some peace on that beautiful island.

BenB said...

Well, even if short-lived, enjoy your time there as much as you can. I haven't been on vacation anywhere in quite a while and I am missing that sort of - leave-it-all-behind time greatly.

Girl, Honey & Maxie said...

We hope you are having a great time. We miss our afternoon crash pad.

Girl, Honey and Maxie