Sunday, April 13, 2008

Li'l bitty cars...

...all from the late, lamented British Motor Corporation which, in its best days, controlled the majority of the UK's car industry.

First, a lineup of Minis, from the pre-BMW days...



A Riley Elf, never sold here to my knowledge, was a tarted-up Mini with a trunk appended to its rump...



Originally developed for the Royal Army, the Mini-Moke was as basic as basic can be. Because it weighed nothing, it was great fun to drive. A four-wheel drive version used two Mini engine/transmission units, one at each end...



The Mini Traveller had wood bits in back and clever rear doors...



Finally, the Morris Minor, the Mini's predecessor. I've always wanted one of these Minor convertibles...



One more set of pics coming soon....

7 comments:

Doug said...

A Mini in mint condition is worth more money than a BMW one. And aesthetically, it's priceless compared to the pretender.

MrScribbler said...

dal -- And an original Mini in good shape is much more fun to drive than the BMW version, even if slower.

Anonymous said...

I love your eye for tiny cars...loved the second car. Honestly. I want to put my double bass in the back and tool around the city.

MrScribbler said...

natalieV -- You and a double bass in an Elf? Now that I'd need to take a photo of!

Anonymous said...

As an unabashed Anglophile, I would have been in heaven at that show. I wish we had that many/variety of cars around here. :)

S

Anonymous said...

I loved driving my mini which was brand new in 74 and wish I had it today! That thing flew from the top of one hill to the next...

Lou

Anonymous said...

Morris Minor - what a great name for a car and what a good looking car. Looks like an enjoyable time was had at the car show. Wahoo.

HT