Wednesday, November 26, 2008

When size matters...

...which is not when some of you are thinking!

One thing I've learned in relocating: most of the stuff I have or had is simply too big for my new economy-sized quarters.

Cases in point: My kitchen wastebin needs to go, and so does my desk, which is a foot wider than it needs to be; I could (given the space and tools) shave at least a half-inch out of the depth of each of my bookcases, and only two books would protrude past their respective shelf spaces; I'd be just as happy -- happier, even -- if there was a size of bed roughly six inches narrower (and, let it be said, up to a foot longer) than my standard queen-size unit.

I know none of those things sound especially significant. They would add up, believe me. It is the visual equivalent of a comment once made by (I think) Henry Kissinger, when asked about excesses in government spending: "A billion here, a billion there...pretty soon you're talking about real money!"

But I'm not here to rant about politics or government spending. Not today.

Similarly, the dresser I considered too small at the old place (thus relegating it to towels-and-sheets-holding duties) is the perfect size here. Its matching bookshelf, with a slight aesthetic modification, holds the linens.

This whole miniaturization thing is new to me. When I first moved out on my own, I had nothing: a couch rescued from a dumpster, a dining table (crappy) and a bed (used, donated). And that was it. I added, from thrift stores and friends, as I went along. Things were pretty easy back then....

My two efforts to do serious upgrading over the years ended in failure: once when my ex-wife copped a bunch of nice stuff we acquired on her way out, again when a cohabitational girlfriend did the same. The latter was more painful: I/we had accumulated some nice (and useful) antique and modern furniture that actually looked good.

I'm now feeling similar urges, but they are based as much on available space as setting up a snazzy pad. With the resources, I could build new furniture to my own designs. I've done that -- in fact, the last two pieces of my "craft" were jettisoned during this last move -- and wouldn't mind doing it again.

The reason is not so much ego as making best use of the minimal space available. I still have a pile of stuff on the floor; all of it will be in assigned nooks and crannies by tomorrow, but said spaces aren't ideal. As I did before, I'd craft spaces around those essential things I have.

I'm neither complaining nor mourning the current situation. Even a largish person like me can get along pretty happily in a minimal space. However, I daresay it could feel a bit less minimal with a little clever design work. Absent a chance to do it myself, I guess I'll place my faith in IKEA over the next few months.

And yeah, a coating of pizzaz over the whole thing would not go amiss, just in case anyone is ever brave enough to accept my hinted invitations and drop by for a visit....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame we don't live closer together, Scribbs. I have a shop full of cool tools, yet I'm pretty much devoid of the talent necessary to use them. I'm sure you could put my shop to good use and make some great stuff for your new digs.

And I think the quote credit should go to the late Sen. Everett Dirksen. :)

S

MrScribbler said...

S -- You may be right about the quote...it sounds like something Senator Ev would have said.

It'd be fun to do wood-work again. And after I was done, the place would smell of orange shellac and fresh-cut timber!

Anonymous said...

Believe me when I tell you I could not understand better today what you are going through. At least you have only yourself to argue with.

Anonymous said...

Add The Container Store to your list to whip your new diggs into shape. The Container Store two online resources: 1) Elpha Designers, which are real people you can talk to on the telephone before making a trip to the store. 2) Organizational experts and online tools to design a free, customized solution.

Would love to go with you if you want the company. Just lemme know.

Anonymous said...

I would love to stop by for a visit one day.

MrScribbler said...

JF -- If you're ever out here, you're welcome! The door is always open...the screen may be locked, but the door is always open....

Anonymous said...

I am going to one day Scribbs. You are just a plane ride away. You know how easy it is for me to get a ride.