Monday, November 03, 2008

Moving.

I'll be in new digs sometime within the next few days.

I've known for several weeks that this move was necessary, and have known where I thought I'd go for a while, but only was able to pay my deposit and get keys today. Until that happened, I neither wanted to say anything nor make any real efforts toward moving.

Maybe that shows how much I have come to distrust people. I don't know. But it means a hectic period begins now, one in which I have to move stuff to the new pad and take a lot of things to a storage unit.

Storage? Yep. The new place is tiny. As in itty-bitty. As in bed, desk, chair and a few bookcases tiny. There's ample closet space, though.

I will do just fine there, after a period of readjustment during which I'll feel like a tiger penned in a small cage.

And it's a nice place, attractive, in excellent condition. Owner and manager are both good people. Excellent neighbors there, as well.

Mainly, I'm doing this for the obvious reason: money. Even with the added cost of a storage unit, I'll be paying some $500 less per month in rent. I'm betting utilities will go down, too.

It's not far. Hell, it's in the same zip code. Still Where The Ghetto Meets The Sea. In fact, I can look out my window and see it right now.

Forgive me for not being particularly Pollyanna-ish about the move. For one thing, it appears I'll have to lug all the crap out of here on my own. A couple of people said they'd help, but the chances don't seem good they'll come through. Likewise, the two local people on whom I can count for many things have bad backs, and I wouldn't accept their help with this if they offered.

And I am not dealing well with the prospect of putting a lot of things out of sight, or of sending things I might otherwise keep to the dumpster, or giving them away. That's not entirely rational, but it's how I feel.

Still, when you come right down to it, a part of me thinks this is a positive move. In some ways that's very clear -- such as the financial bit -- and perhaps, once I've socked enough loot away to buy some furnishings appropriate in size to the new cubicle, it will feel more home-like. That'd be very good; this place never reached that level of physical or mental comfort.

A few weeks from now, maybe a month at most, I'll be certain this is a move I needed, both to help my bank balance and my mental health.

For now, it means I'll probably be out of touch with all y'all for a while. A few days almost certainly; depending on how well things go, could be longer.

I'll be whining and complaining a lot, but you won't know that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simplifying your life might do you good. We're thinking of going in that direction ourselves. Keep us posted. :)

S

Anonymous said...

Just think...less to keep clean too.
Good luck Scribby.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the move and I hope it works out for you.
Roz

Anonymous said...

Good luck, MrS, we're trying to do the same thing. Stay in touch. :)

Anonymous said...

I've always claimed I could live anywhere that had decent internet and satellite tv.

Now I need to put my money where my mouth is.

f

Dorrie said...

wish I was closer to tht I could help. Sounds like you got a great deal!

Anonymous said...

Scrib - this is good news. It sounds like it will be more manageable and that will take a burden off. Wish we could pull off a js work party to get you moved. Don't hurt your back!

Anonymous said...

Mr Scribbler: I have followed your blog for a while now and my heart has risen and fallen with your trials. I am encouraged by your current change, and sincerely hope it all works out as you wish.
I am too far away to offer you any real assistance, but I am familiar with your location (worked there once) and would if I was closer. I really hope that things get better for you with this change, and I will impatiently watch and wait for news. Dale in GA