Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Big Recap...

...simply because I have no intention of hanging around until the numerals change over to 00:00.

PARENTHETICAL THOUGHT: Used to be, I'd say "until the clock strikes 12," but that's so old-fashioned. The world has moved along, and I now have only one clock that has hands and numbers. I'm trying not to sound as old as I feel....

It's been a bad year, Jim.

What a change 365 days have made! This time last year, I was sitting right here, eagerly awaiting the chance to post an entry (on another site) with the title "0:00!" And I was up six hours later, touting Bill Handel's report on the Rose Parade.

This time, I won't be up at midnight, and Handel won't be doing his New Year's morning show. He's on vacation.

This time one year ago, I had a woman who (claimed to) love me, I had two clients whom I could trust, a few coins in the bank and a lot of optimism for the future. I knew 2006 was going to be the year when I actually managed to pull it all together and start enjoying life.

And a radio host played Guy Lombardo's syrupy rendition of "Auld Lang Syne," replete with tremulous saxophones, and tears came to my eyes.

Tonight, I just heard the same recording again and it made me reach for another shot of Mr Beam's contribution to the New Year's party. Outside, the police helicopter is circling. They're not after me; I have no intention of getting in my car at this point.

The rest? Forget it. I have one client I feel semi-comfortable dealing with (naturally, they contribute the least to my income) and everything else I looked forward to is gone.

The scars remain, though.

I just tried to hit the sack and fall asleep. Not working. So I'll probably write at least once more before 2006 is over.

I apologize for that in advance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been betrayed by friends and others I cared about, and it really hurts. I know. And the gnawing worry about money...been there too. But time stands still for no one. Move along. Live.

Anonymous said...

I'll take a chance and wish you a good 2007 anyway :)