Tuesday, August 01, 2006

My legs hurt...

...because I got on my bicycle this morning for the first time since the Great Heat Wave arrived.

This is not the ideal place for bicycling, at least if you're picking it up again after too many years of inaction. There are no level roads to let you work your way back into the rhythm; in fact, if you want to ride more than four miles, or ride north/south instead of west/east, there are immediate steep hills to deal with.

PARENTHETICAL THOUGHT: The geographic situation here means every ride must start out to the west or north; otherwise, I'd need floats. That effectively reduces the route choices to two.

Can't really complain about the bike, even if it's an on-sale special from Target and not one of those fancy lightweight things with suspension and high-tech brakes. Until I can manage more than short local rides, it'll do.

But damn, I wish my legs didn't hurt. I'm lazy. I want gain sans pain. At least in one area of my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would dare get on a bike. If I fell off I would be in a world of hurt.
Roz

MrScribbler said...

If I fall off, Roz, the damage will be minimal so long as I land on my head....

Dorrie said...

my bike is about 15 years old, I haven't ridden it in over 10... mostly for the same reason you didn't (hills, etc.)... now I live where it's flat and I have no excuse... hmmmm, might be something to try to do soon...

Doug said...

I thought I'd ride mine this year, but again, I did not. I don't want to bruise my hiarwj again, like I did four years ago.

MrScribbler said...

I would like to buy another seat, dal...this one is a little rough on the wuwle.

As if I've got any use for 'em these days....