Sunday, August 13, 2006

A message to Muslims

In recent days, I have read countless commentaries from Muslims claiming their religion is misunderstood, that Islam is a "religion of peace," and that everything would be fine if the Jews and their apologists would stop spreading distortions.

I believe many, if not all, of these commentaries are sincere.

But I cannot accept what they say.

If Islam is truly a religion of peace, it is past time for proof, not hollow words.

If certain steps were taken, I -- and, I believe, many other non-Muslims -- would have no trouble accepting the assertions of Islam's defenders.

Let the Islamic governments of the world, CAIR and other Islamic groups in the USA and elsewhere, adopt the following resolutions publicly, and then act accordingly, while holding other Muslims to the same conditions, shunning them and refusing aid to them them if they do not:

1. That Israel, the Jewish State, has a right to exist, where it is, without facing any threat from the Muslim world;

2. That Sunnis, Shiites, and other sects within Islam will no longer continue the endless cycle of violence against each other, but will live side by side in peace;

3. That violence against civilians, torture and mutilations, regardless of the victims' religion or nationality, is never acceptable;

4. That all Islamic lands will extend the same respect, tolerance and freedom within their borders to others that they expect for themselves within the United States and the Western World.


I am convinced beyond a doubt that 95 percent or more of the non-Islamic world, including Jews, would pledge similar guarantees to Muslims without hesitation. I'd sign such a pledge.

I'm also convinced that the Israelis would react positively, and U.S. troops would be speedily withdrawn from Iraq, if these pledges were made and adhered to.

But I fear too many Muslims are too choked up on their hatred, too narrow-minded and doctrinaire, to ever take these four pledges to heart.

I can hear the excuses and contorted reasoning behind their refusal now.

And that is why I cannot accept the notion of Islam, as it is practiced today, as a "religion of peace." My perception, painfully arrived at, is that Islam is a religion of violence and intolerance.

I would love to be proven wrong.

2 comments:

John0 Juanderlust said...

I don't know that when Islamic law has been the rule of a country that it has ever been a religion of peace.

Although Israel exists and has a right to exist, I still find it difficult to respect any country based on religion. I understand the reasoning but I prefer it to claim to be A state rather than the Jewish state but I guess that would be seen as a threat in light of the present calls for geneocide of Jewish people.

These people are in a different world and another century. I don't think the live and let live philosophy is part of the program

MrScribbler said...

I've always been a bit conflicted about Israel myself. I understand the reasoning behind a Jewish state, but would be happier if it was not religion-based.

And it has cost the USA one huge pile of money to keep it afloat. At some point, one might expect modern countries to stand on their own.

But under the circumstances, I think we need to be working to keep Israel there, not wimp out into that "diplomacy" scene.