Saturday, April 30, 2011

Another nice day...

...in Sandy Bay. But we didn't soak up much of the spring sunshine.

D. and I spent much of the glorious, sunny afternoon indoors, getting the framing up for the Sumptuous Office Complex.

To be fair, I have to say D. did the lion's (lioness's?) share of the hard work, cutting the 2x4s, flailing away with a small sledgehammer when our measurements proved too precise and things needed to be, shall we say, "persuaded" into place. She knows how to do this stuff, and I cringe when I consider what it would look like if I had gone ahead, in full bull-in-china-shop mode, and slapped the thing together myself.

Nonetheless, a few hours' work brought forth a pretty nifty result....

The more we do, the less fits into a photo....

Down at the far left end of this sturdy and remarkably plumb structure is the doorway. The framing is essentially complete, with headers fastened to the joists above and sill plates ditto to the floor. Wiring, wall covering, ceiling, paint and floor coverings will soon follow.

It's going to be a busy place down there, what with the stonemasons, sculptors, plasterers and fresco artists all doing their respective things. I'm thinking Sistine Chapel here, Jim....

Actually, I'm also thinking it will be good simply to have the space done up enough to use. There's work to do now*, and more likely in the near future.

This is fun!


* My favorite former client is now a former and current client, dropping some rather remunerative work on me, with discussions about further projects continuing. Oddly enough, the move seems to have helped; not only am I in a better position mood-wise to write -- it's a Temperamental Artist thing, baby -- but the magazine has two editors nearby (in the same state, anyway, and it's small compared to my previous states) who seem more inclined to deal with me...should they want a face-to-face meeting, it's a fairly short trip now.  I'm digging that, as my bank account and D. will, as well....

4 comments:

Ptolemy said...

Sweet! Truly convinced there ain't nothin' D. can't do! ;-)

deb said...

I have a long list. Even posted it on my blog a few years back. Maybe I should do another post about all the things.

John0 Juanderlust said...

She definitely knows what she is doing. That is some nice looking work.

MrScribbler said...

JohnO -- the new structure even took out some of the "bounce" on the floor above...D. is going to have a show on HGTV any day now!