Saturday, January 03, 2009

Looking back...

...a whole three days!

At one point on New Year's Eve, I straightened my spine, mastered my most determined facial expression, looked in the mirror and said "Damnit, I'm not going to let next year be as miserable as this one!"

I quickly came to my senses. I was getting perilously close to actually making a New Year's resolution. Or, worse, more than one.

We all know how well most of those work, don't we?

I can tell you right now that if I had resolved to do certain things -- all of which would be Good For Me -- I would already be moaning about having messed up at least one or two.

Sure, I could have promised myself all sorts of great things, and goodness knows I wish I could deliver. If it was that easy, I'd simply decide to earn a million dollars in the next twelve months, and that would solve one heckuva lot of problems.

I'd need some serious help with that one, Jim. Maybe a mask and weapon, too. Or a job with the government.

Even the simple stuff is a potential minefield. And once a resolution is broken, it just lies there, inert, and mocks you.

So I decided to look at things in a slightly different way. I'm not stupid -- not all the time, that is -- so I do know what needs to be done. I even know how to accomplish some of my unstated goals. Thus, the Big Plan for 2009:

I'm going to give dealing with all the not-so-swell stuff in my life a pretty good shot, and if I actually succeed at fixing anything I'll look around in surprise and say, "whoa, did I do that?"

What I will not do is set up any expectations that I am going to make any great strides toward perfection. That way, any missteps along the way won't be as irritating; things I do get done will bring pleasant, unexpected feelings of fulfillment, and I'll permit me to pat myself on the back.

I'd really like to arrive at next December 31st and not have to say "Damnit, I'm not going to let next year be as miserable as this one!" all over again.

But that sounds too much like a New Year's resolution, so I'm not going to think about it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck.

KIT said...

As you can see from my identity, I've joined you at blogspot.

Kimmywoo said...

I don't make new year's resolutions either. If you want to do something, you should just do it, regardless of the time of year. Harrumph. :p

Benita said...

Thanks for connecting with me! I always love reading what you write. Your entries echo my thoughts so often, but with much more clarity and wit! Here's hoping '09 brings a bounty of blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Better a revolution than a resolution.
Take no prisoners.
Mike

Anonymous said...

Hi MrScribbler, That sounds wonderful! Wishing you good luck and also determination!!

It's a brand new year, and I too, am starting anew with every aspect of my life!

I'm now blogging at TWO places, here in Blogspot, (which I absolutely love!) and also I'm in WordPress because some of our favorite bloggers are there.

Well, I'll get you added to both places and be back to read your interesting posts that I have so missed the past months.

~Judy aka the old 'sunny' from the old js. ;)

Anonymous said...

My one resolution was not to make any other resolutions. Honestly, I'm reading "The Power of Less", about how doing more and going more and having more seldom equals more happiness. It's about setting a few important goals, setting limitations, prioritizing, focusing, simplifying, etc, but not taking things to a Thoreau-like final conclusion. I'll let you know if it works.

Take care, Scribbs,

S

Doug said...

I'm going to try and stop dragging things home and cluttering up my space, once I get the basics covered. I want to get out more, and sit here less. I want to have, if not a roommate with benefits, at least a frequent guest with same.

But I'm not dumb enough to promise any of it.

BenB said...

I haven't made any public resolutions, either, just a couple of promises I made to myself that I'm currently keeping to myself - one of which is already being carried out. Like you said, the litmus test if it you can last more than 2 days at it.....

old solider said...

Hope 09 is your best year.You deserve a break my friend

gillardia said...

I think it's kind of funny how so many JSers are now coming over here. I'll be updating here more regularly now.

Gill