Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Just because I can't make it happen...

...don't for a moment assume I'm not thinking about my Thanksgiving Dream.

In said dream, I would have a room full of people. Some of them are readers here; it would be a room full of warmth and happiness, good conversation and music.

PARENTHETICAL IT'S-MY-DREAM THOUGHT: I even know what the house would look like. I "designed" it in my mind years ago. And, since I'm a deprived Californian, it would be snowing outside. Lightly, so everyone could drive safely to and from the gathering.

No one would go hungry. Neither carnivore nor vegetarian would be left out. There would be beverages for all tastes. Plenty of comfy chairs at a large table, too; eating on trays doesn't make it.

And at the peak of the afternoon, when all are fed and catered to, I would stand and raise my glass in a toast to some wonderful people who have filled my heart with appreciation and joy. It would take a while; that would be my best chance to tell each and every one what they mean to me.

My love would be with me.

ANOTHER PARENTHETICAL CAN'T-SEE-EVERYTHING THOUGHT: I don't know what she would look like. I only know she would have the virtues of a couple of women I know and would be as honest, faithful, loving and caring toward me as I would be to her.

And after the meal, more conversation, more music, more of the warmth generated by good people having a good time.

And yes, John, Bing would stop by with his cocktail shaker full of eggnog. He might even sing.

Much later, I'd wash dishes before going to join my love in front of the fire....

It's not happening for me, but that doesn't stop me wanting each and every one of you to have your own part of that happy vision tomorrow. Love, friendship and good food are what Thanksgiving is all about, you know. Along, of course, with an appreciation for the universe that has provided them.

Bless you all, dear friends.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a beautiful dream, Mr.S! I hope it comes true for you very soon. Happy Thanksgiving...

Anonymous said...

Sounds real good. Hope you come as close as you can.

Fin

Anonymous said...

Happy TG, Scrib. Some day, I hope you realize your dream.

Anonymous said...

Sending you hugs and good wishes from across the pond. I wont be celebrating it but I do thank God for your friendship Mr Scribs. I hope your dream comes true one day..You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

A nice dream, Scribbs. I hope someday...soon...you can realize your dream. Until then, please take some solace in the knowledge that YOU are at OUR table in spirit, around our fireplace, enjoying this holiday with us. Take care, friend.

S

Anonymous said...

I hope in that dream of yours I am at that table.
Dear friend, sending you good vibes from the East Coast.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Scribbs, here's hoping that your dream will come true in the near future!
benb

Anonymous said...

There are no perfect people, homes or meals. We need to make the best of the characters who bless our lives and you are one of them. You've certainly improved my year. Happy thanksgiving to you Scribs.

Joan Perry

Anonymous said...

It's hard to not get lost in that dream. It sounds wonderful. You WILL have it someday Scrib. Just keep it in your heart, and you'll find it.

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful dream. You deserve to have that dream come true, too.

Gill

Anonymous said...

Yay. Bing will be there!! I'm betting he'll even share that pipe.
I'm in for this party.
ofly