Monday, October 08, 2007

Shiny objects, part 1...

...being some photos I shot at yesterday's show. I'm still not happy with my photographic efforts, but will try to find enough to present.

The first one is a Ferrari Enzo, the only modern car I pointed the camera toward, and is here for my friend Scott, who would probably love to have one in his driveway. I hope he's shorter than I am if he ever gets his wish....



More to my liking is this tiny 1949 Ferrari type 166 "Barchetta" ("little boat" in Italian)...



Or better still, this '57 Ferrari 410 "Superamerica," which is one fast, fine ride....



I consider the '62 Ferrari 250 "Lusso" ("Luxury") the most beautiful of all Ferraris. For years, the big-time collectors scorned Lussos because they were slow (that's relative) and heavy. But a brown (ugh) Lusso once owned by Steve McQueen sold at auction for 2.5 million scoots recently, so they are now the Ferrari flavor-of-the-month...



Finally, the Ferrari-built car I would love to own, the 1972 Dino 246. Dino was Enzo Ferrari's son, who died young, and the grieving parent named a series of cars after him. All were simply called "Dinos," so any Dino wearing Ferrari badges has been altered by a poseur owner, but no matter; this is a sweet car, and I came very close to buying one when they were new*...



* I console myself for not having done so by realizing that "mine" would have had many hundreds of thousands of miles on it by now, and would be pretty shabby compared to the lovingly restored examples we see today.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Theres some beautiful cars there MrScribs...Do you get Top Gear in the USA its one of my favourite programmes on tv.

Anonymous said...

Great cars but looks like I'd need to be at least a foot shorter to get in them. And getting out, just roll onto the ground maybe?

MrScribbler said...

Susananne -- I believe one can see TG here in the USA, but as I don't watch TV often, I'm not sure.

Picaboblu -- getting in and out of the 166 and 410 would be easy...the rest are a strain for me.

Anonymous said...

I'll take the 1949 Ferrari type 166 "Barchetta" :)

MrScribbler said...

JF -- You're my kind o' woman!

Maybe you'd even let me teach you how to drive it...I guarantee it's different from any car you've had!

Anonymous said...

nice nice cars

Doug said...

Oh, hell. Just gimme one of each...

MrScribbler said...

DAL -- a quick $5 mill ought to get you the whole set. Maybe.

Doing overtime at work this week?

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Scribbs! I feel like I've died and gone to Ferrari heaven. And that Enzo in my driveway...I couldn't even afford liability insurance on one. Haha!

Susananne...Yes, Top Gear is on tonight (on my cable system) on BBC America. Another wonderful gift you Brits have given us. :)

John0 Juanderlust said...

the white one is my fav

Anonymous said...

man, those are beautiful cars.