Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Those wild & crazy vegans...

...are hitting the headlines in New Zealand.

A few choice morsels from the story:

A new phenomenon in New Zealand is taking the idea of you are what you eat to the extreme.

Vegansexuals are people who do not eat any meat or animal products, and who choose not to be sexually intimate with non-vegan partners whose bodies, they say, are made up of dead animals.

The co-director of the New Zealand Centre for Human and Animal Studies at Canterbury University, Annie Potts, said she coined the term after doing research on the lives of "cruelty-free consumers"....

...Many female respondents described being attracted to people who ate meat, but said they did not want to have sex with meat-eaters because their bodies were made up of animal carcasses....

...One vegan respondent from Christchurch said: "I believe we are what we consume, so I really struggle with bodily fluids, especially sexually."


Okay, fine.

Reminds me a bit of the classic movie Dr. Strangelove, in which General Jack D Ripper was ready to start a nuclear war to "protect the purity of our precious bodily fluids."

Some limited experience with non-carnivorous female-type persons leads me to believe they have the same components as their meat-eating sisters. I found no substantial differences, except perhaps that finding suitable restaurants was a bit more difficult.

Now I'm waiting to hear this one offered up to me as an excuse for, shall we say, "non-fraternization." I've head all the rest, let me tell you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geezy peezy...I just have to laugh.
I am proud to be made up of animal carasses. And, at the moment made up of a lot of crustaceans since we just got back from eating Maryland Steamed Crabs.
And damn it, I am proud of it!!!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! Let's see how long this trend lasts. All the more meat eaters left for the rest of us. Yum Yum.

John0 Juanderlust said...

I'm confused wondering what is involved when one struggles with his bodily fluids. Sounds either messy or like some sort of unhealthy retention issue.

No way I'm limiting myself. One group may be slightly tastier than the other, but I'm not picky. I'd tend to avoid fanatics anyway, so no loss.

John0 Juanderlust said...

Wait a minute! I don't think dirst and organic material distinguishes between animal and not, being comprised of both. It breaks down enough, you can't tell.

Everyone's made of dead animals.

MrScribbler said...

John -- shhhh! Don't tell the vegans!

And just thing of all the wonderful come-on (or turn-off) lines one could come up with based on this article....

Kimmywoo said...

New Zealanders! Bloody sheep shaggers, the lot of them! Is it any wonder we Aussies take the mickey out of them?

MrScribbler said...

Kim -- At least sheep don't eat meat....