Sunday, September 28, 2008

I wasn't there...

...or, more accurately, I was there but wishing I wasn't; today was not a particularly happy experience.

I had promised some time back to be a judge at a car show today. My life is a sh*t sandwich at the moment, and shows no signs of getting anything but worse; I wasn't in the mood to hang with a bunch of zillionaires and their pampered wheels, thank you very much.

But, since I promised, and posting photos is less stressful for you and me than whining, I made the 57-mile trek (each way) and, suitably attired in jacket and tie, I did what I said I'd do. And I took a few pics.

It was damn foggy at 7:30 a.m., but the cars were already parked on the golf course....



As usual, there was a wide variety of cars, from this early-1900s De Dion Bouton...



...to this lovely and unusual Rolls-Royce Phantom I with a rare boat-tail custom body...



...to Cadillacs, like this ultra-luxurious '58 Eldorado Brougham, one of roughly 400 with bodies built in Italy, with "suicide" rear doors and stainless-steel roof panels...



...and even some racers, like this Ferrari Monza, which was also for sale. I (and a friend or two) could retire for what it will change hands for. Think seven figures (to the left of the decimal point)...



I have a few other shots, which will fill the following post. My heart wasn't really in it, though, and it took a hell of a lot of energy -- too much -- to maintain a professional, friendly demeanor.

Never mind, though. The other people seemed to have a good time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice cars - S will love the photos when he sees them

Doug said...

A Caddy with Dagmar bumpers, just the ticket for hitting the Tim Horton's drive through...

emd said...

They are good pics, Scribbs. Sorry you didn't feel into it more, though. It's always a drag forcing something.

I was at the Coco's on Western today, and saw a 63 Studebaker Avanti in the parking lot. For some weird reason, I've always dug Studys. And, Hillman Huskies, but, I won't go there right now!

MrScribbler said...

emd -- I'm a big Avanti fan as well. At a tender age I got a ride in one the first night they went on sale, and have never forgotten it.

I also once had a Hillman Minx and wanted a Husky. I have tried to forget that!

Anonymous said...

I love that boat-tailed RR. The color, exterior and interior, is exceptional. Did it win any special award?

S