Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I've been told to write...

...even though I don't have much to say. Nothing that's good, anyway.

If you want to read whining and miserable stuff, y'all have come to the right place.

So, lemme see...what's been going on?

I picked up Photographer D. and his girlfriend at the airport last night at the conclusion of their trip to Italy. I knew they were returning, but hoped they'd call with some basic information. You know, like the flight number, arrival time, etc.

Late Sunday there was a message on my answering machine: "It's D. We'll be back Tuesday at 6:05. We land at Terminal "B."

Ummmm...a few unanswered questions there. Like: morning or night? And, since LAX has no "Terminal B" (they are numbered one through seven), was he landing somewhere else?

Okay. They left via United, so I guessed they'd come back the same way. I also guessed he meant 6:05 p.m. Checked with United's website and found a flight that fit the parameters. It would land at Terminal Seven.

B...seven...close enough, I guess.

Checked the site one last time before driving over there and, aside from a 20-minute delay in landing, nothing changed.

Now, I've flown via United to Europe dozens of times. Despite the fact that LAX has a so-called "International" terminal, some of those flights did indeed park at United's own terminal.

This one did, too. But the passengers were then taken by bus to the "International" terminal. I was waiting at Terminal Seven, and my car was in the appropriate parking garage. The information screens showed the plane landing there.

But then, after landing, the screens changed, and showed the passengers debarking at the international terminal. Into car, leave lot, drive to the other terminal, park.

Of course it took them quite a while to get through customs. Since the preceding flights all seemed to be filled with "visitors" lugging all their worldly possessions with them from Asia and Mexico, D. and S. needed nearly a half-hour to get past those beady-eyed guardians of our territorial sovereignty and immigration laws.

It only took me three hours total to pick them up and take them home.

That's maybe the most productive thing I'll do this week. Today, I got a copy of a magazine I've been writing for; the current issue has nothing of mine in it, even though they have maybe five pieces I've written in hand right now. That means I won't get a check from them for another month. If they choose to use any of them then.

That always cheers me up.

My back hurts like hell, as it has for three weeks. The doctor's appointment I thought I thought was scheduled for last Friday is actually this Friday. I've considered going to a chiropractor, but have yet to hear back from the one recommended to me. He's a busy guy.

I may have to hunt up an attorney, which I can't afford. Someone is hassling me and I'm not sure I can fight it on my own. 'Nuff said.

I don't feel like working. I can't manage more than a mile or so on foot, and feel out of sorts about that.

I do feel like pouring myself a stiff shot of Adult Beverage. Maybe two. Or three.

Not doing that, though.

Yup. I'm in a bad mood.

Feel better knowing what's going on?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you updated. Sorry about your back. I hope the chiropractor helps. After Paul's wreck he found one who helped him a lot.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was me...
Betty

Anonymous said...

Terminal B = 7. Makes sense. Hope the back feels better, Scribbs!

Kimmywoo said...

Or four?! Maybe a nice glass of Australian Shiraz instead?

Dorrie said...

glad you finally updated.

I think I'd stop writing anything for that magazine... they don't seem to be very dependable. Yeh, I know, you have to keep hoping and maybe, just maybe they'll print all 5 at once! LOL

how's Holly doing? give her a hug from me, ok?

oh, and here's one for you {hugs}

Anonymous said...

I let you in on a little secret. Most of those airport main boards are run by the state and not by the airline. The information is not updated as frequently.
Besides all of that, how else do you expect us to entertain ourselves all day if we do make gate changes at the last minute??!!
It gives us something to watch, watching people scurry and look frantic ;)

Hope your back feels better soon.
Thanks for updating =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. S - sorry things aren't going too well in your corner - hope it gets better. I can't afford a lawyer, either, so I'm going it alone this afternoon in the courthouse and hoping all the evidence I produce will speak for itself......
Take care.
bb

Anonymous said...

Hassling must be in the air. I'm fighting two things myself. Hire an attorney... it always works out better.

I hope things turn around for you Pookie.

becomingkate said...

Things suck for a lot of us right now, I guess. I can only hope things get better for us both! *hugs*

John0 Juanderlust said...

I sure wish you could get to the chiro. They are always the ticket but I have seen far more back pain resolved w/them. my own for sure. MDs tend to want to weld and rebuild or do other strange things. Good uck in any case.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I do feel better that you're writing again. Thanks. And good luck with the shark. :)

S